UPJA only publishes the highest-quality papers, but rarely rejects submissions prior to review, ensuring that authors are provided with valuable feedback.
We accept submissions from current undergraduates, including Honours students, or those who have recently graduated from any university worldwide, so long as the paper was originally written while the author was still an undergraduate. Papers that have previously been published, or are currently under consideration elsewhere, are not eligible for review or publication with UPJA. All contributors to co-authored papers must satisfy these eligibility criteria.
With the generous support of the Australasian Association of Philosophy (AAP), we will award two cash prizes for each issue: Best Paper (Overall) and Best Paper (Written by a Member of an Underrepresented Group in Philosophy). Both prizes may be awarded to the same author. If no papers selected for publication are written by authors eligible for the latter prize, this prize will not be awarded for that issue.
Call for Critical Replies
We are also seeking critical reply pieces to papers published in previous issues of UPJA. The word limit is 1,500–6,000. Reply pieces are subject to the same refereeing process as any other submissions.
- Deadline: Sunday 28th March 2021, 23:59 AEDT (UTC +11)
- Scope: UPJA welcomes original article submissions on any philosophical topic. We also encourage critical reply pieces to previously published work from UPJA.
- Criteria: Papers will be judged on the basis of originality, argumentation, and clarity.
- Formatting: Times New Roman, 12-point font, double-spaced.
- Anonymity: Please ensure that your paper is prepared for blind peer review, with no identifying details included in your submission. This includes your name, institution, acknowledgements, and metadata of the file itself.
- Abstract: You will need to include an abstract of no more than 200 words on the first page of the document.
- Word limit: 3,000–6,000 for original articles. 1,500–6,000 for critical reply pieces. Please note that this excludes abstract, footnotes and references.
- Reference style: See the Style Guide for details. Please note, however, that manuscripts need not strictly adhere to this referencing style on initial submission.
- Please insert page number in footer. Apart from that, please leave headers and footers blank.
- You will receive confirmation of receipt by email within a week.
- Please thoroughly proofread your paper before submitting.